Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Slow Cooker Pot Roast and Gravy

I made this yesterday. Taletha and I LOVED it. I've never made a roast in the crock pot and I was skeptical about my abilities and the taste but was really, really yummy.

Slow Cooker Pot Roast and Gravy
4-5 lb roast (I actually used a 2.5 lb rump roast)
1 pkg onion soup mix
2-4 c. water
1/4 c. flour
1/3 c. cold water

Put roast in crock pot. Sprinkle with onion soup mix. Add water-- enough to come about 1/2 way up sides of roast. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. Remove roast and put in microwave or oven to keep warm.

Turn drippings up to high. Mix flour and water in small bowl until smooth. Add to crock pot mixture. Mix until smooth (mine had a few lumps but they went away). Cover and let thicken. (The thickening part was taking a while so I added more flour/water. It took about 1/2 hour to get the right consistency.)

2 comments:

CA Clayson Fam said...

Jeans, you can add a can of cream of mushroom soup at the beginning, and then it will thicken up very fast. I usually pour my drippings into a sauce pan and do it on the stove because it tends to thicken a lot faster.

Jeanna said...

Thanks for the tip!