Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Chicken and Cheese Chimichangas

Yummy!!! I made these tonight, and my kids and husband loved it!! I actually made 8, so two I just filled with cheese. Owen ate almost 1 1/2 of these, and Chad said this was a keeper. Use any kind of salsa that you want, but make sure you like it, that is what made them so good.

6 Rhodes Texas™ rolls, thawed and risen - I found this kind at Winco
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1-1/2 cups shredded, cooked chicken
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
salsa
vegetable oil for frying
salsa, sour cream and grated cheese, if desired

Sauté onion and garlic in oil. Add chicken and cook over low heat until heated thoroughly. Remove from heat and add cheese. Flatten each roll to a 5-inch square. Spread each square with 2 teaspoons salsa. Spoon 1/4 cup chicken mixture onto half of each square. Fold over the other half and pinch the edges to seal. Pour oil 2 to 3-inches deep into a small sauce pan or an electric frying pan and heat to medium high setting or 375°F. Fry each Chimichanga approximately 3 minutes on each side. Serve with salsa, sour cream and grated cheese, if desired.
Variation: Instead of frying, these can be baked at 350°F 20 minutes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

April - you should really post the recipe for your Potato Soup. I have it written down somewhere, but I have been copying down some of the recipes from here to try at home. It's lunch-time right now and it's making me sooooo hungry. :) Love your site - keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I tried this one and it was a hit with the family. It's really nice to have something new and good for dinner!

CA Clayson Fam said...

I'm so glad - they were yummy! I will get on that potato soup recipe, I don't really have one, so I'll see what I can do.